How to Become a Section 8 Landlord
- List your property by going to www.gosection8.com and follow steps as owner to list the property, or contact our offices at 415-491-2573, or Landlord@marinhousing.org and we can list the property internally.
- Families are given a copy of the list of available units, but this does not guarantee that an eligible family will rent your unit.
- The landlord interviews and screens prospective families.
- The landlord selects a family based on the landlord's screening criteria and fair housing law requirements.
- Each eligible family is given a move-in paperwork packet. The landlord completes the family's move-in paperwork and returns it to the family.
- The landlord or family submits the move-in paperwork to the Housing Choice Voucher Program office. The information is forwarded to the inspection department.
- Once the family is approved for the unit, the landlord and inspector arrange the date and time of the inspection. The requested rent is approved or negotiated.
- Once the unit passes inspection and the move-in date is established, the landlord and family sign the lease and contract documents.
- After all documents are signed, the family must pay their portion of the rent established by MHA, and the family receives the keys to the unit.
- Finally, the family moves into the unit. The landlord has sole responsibility for the management and maintenance of the unit from this point forward.
- The owner or family must provide copy of the executed lease.
- MHA prepares Housing Assistance Payment Contract (HAP) and collect signatures.
- Once the HAP is executed payment is released to the owner on behalf of the family.
4020 Civic Center Drive
San Rafael CA 94903
Phone: (415) 491-2525
Fax: (415) 472-2186
TDD: (800) 735-2929
Marin Housing's office hours:
Monday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.