How to Become a Section 8 Landlord
- List your property by going to www.gosection8.com and follow steps as owner to list the property, or contact our offices at 415-491-2573, or Landlord@marinhousing.org and we can list the property internally.
- Families are given a copy of the list of available units, but this does not guarantee that an eligible family will rent your unit.
- The landlord interviews and screens prospective families.
- The landlord selects a family based on the landlord's screening criteria and fair housing law requirements.
- Each eligible family is given a move-in paperwork packet. The landlord completes the family's move-in paperwork and returns it to the family.
- The landlord or family submits the move-in paperwork to the Housing Choice Voucher Program office. The information is forwarded to the inspection department.
- Once the family is approved for the unit, the landlord and inspector arrange the date and time of the inspection. The requested rent is approved or negotiated.
- Once the unit passes inspection and the move-in date is established, the landlord and family sign the lease and contract documents.
- After all documents are signed, the family must pay their portion of the rent established by MHA, and the family receives the keys to the unit.
- Finally, the family moves into the unit. The landlord has sole responsibility for the management and maintenance of the unit from this point forward.
- The owner or family must provide copy of the executed lease.
- MHA prepares Housing Assistance Payment Contract (HAP) and collect signatures.
- Once the HAP is executed payment is released to the owner on behalf of the family.
Please Give Us Your Feedback
Help us improve this site for you, give us your feedback please.
Website hosted by Marin's leading Web Design company, EnlightWorks